LIFE IN BANGKOK

Bangkok is known as the Venice of the East and its Thai name translates as City of the Angels

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bangkok, Thailand

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Loi Krathong



Today was Loi Krathong, a Thai holiday that falls on the full moon during November. Tradition on that day is to make a little boat out of banana leaves with a candle and incense on the boat, and let it float out onto the river carrying away all your bad luck. We took the Sky Train over to the Chao Phrya river where there were hundreds of other people with the same idea. We bought our little Krathongs (Loi means to float) and plunked them into the river, or at least a little inlet. I don't think ours got too far, but we did our part.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed Tet Trung Thu when I was a kid in Vietnam. These seasonal festivals remind me of my childhood - especially the food! My kids got plenty of loot for Halloween. The weather in the Bay Area has been unseasonably warm; it's mid November and the temp is still in the low to mid 70s. Spoke to my friend Todd today and it's in the 20s in Spokane. They got their 1st snow already...

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home